Date Posted: April 13, 2018 08:00 AM
Deadline: Until filled
Compensation: $11.19 per hour (wage includes $1.25 per hour Skill-Based pay)
Hours: up to 40 hours per week
To apply, please submit a City application which can be found by clicking on the link above, at Job Service, or at City Hall. This position is open until filled.
For more information contact Shelly at 701-456-7801, or email HR@dickinsongov.com.
This is a seasonal position with the Dickinson Museum Center.
The Fossil Preparator is responsible for overseeing and conducting laboratory based preparation of fossil remains. Mentoring and training lab volunteers. Communicating paleontological science with the public.
Hours are Monday – Friday, 8:30 – 5:00
Duties and Responsibilities
- Preparation of vertebrate fossils, especially physical preparation of dinosaur bones.
- Molding and casting of vertebrate fossils.
- Maintenance and care of laboratory equipment; sourcing of supplies.
- Assistance in preparing specimens for exhibit.
- Provides direct supervision of Paleontology Lab in Curator’s absence.
- Provides support to Curator as needed and directed
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A minimum three years demonstrated experience in preparation of large and small vertebrate fossils.
- Familiarity with basic and advanced preparation methods. (e.g., macro-preparation, micro-preparation, acid preparation, archival cradling, thin sectioning, molding and casting).
- Strong attention to detail, patience, and fine motor skills; excellent hand-eye coordination.
- Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds.
- Demonstrable knowledge of appropriate specimen handling and storage techniques.
- Demonstrable knowledge of anatomy, especially dinosaurs, and awareness of how and where to source appropriate information to aid in preparation.
- Comfortable with public interaction.
- Basic proficiency with Microsoft Office software.
Additional desirable skills/experience:
- Screenwashing and picking microvertebrate concentrates.
- Specimen photography & photo editing software.
- Three-dimensional modeling and/or printing.
- Video recording and editing.
- Exhibit construction.
- Engaging with museum visitors.
-Must be 18 years of age and possess a valid Driver’s License.
-Must pass a pre-employment drug test, reference checks, and background check.
Desirable Training and Experience
-HS Diploma or Equivalent
- This is a non-benefited position.