Date Posted: April 13, 2018 08:00 AM
Deadline: Until filled
Compensation: $11.19 per hour (wage includes $1.25 per hour Skill-Based pay)
Hours: up to 40 hours per week
To apply, please submit a City application which can be found by clicking on the link above, at Job Service, or at City Hall. This position is open until filled.
For more information contact Shelly at 701-456-7801, or email HR@dickinsongov.com.
This is a seasonal position with the Dickinson Museum Center.
From 37.5 to 40 hours per week. Monday – Friday, 8:30 – 5:00 and Sunday 12-5
Duties and Responsibilities
Seasonal, 37.5 to 40 hours/week
To provide a welcome, hospitable environment and rewarding learning experience to museum visitors through guided tours.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducting museum tours of approximately 1-1 1/2 hours in length. Be comfortable speaking to small and large groups of people of all ages.
- Greet and welcome tour groups upon their arrival.
- Deal skillfully with a diversity of visitors under a variety of circumstances
- Continually be aware and keep informed about changes in the exhibits.
- Assist staff at the information desks and gift shops by providing information to museum visitors and answering their questions, stocking merchandise, and processing fees.
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be age 18 or older
- High School diploma
- Enjoy interacting and comfortable meeting with other people
- Personable, outgoing
- Reliable, responsible
- Extensive prior knowledge of the subjects presented at the Dickinson Museum Center is not required but a prospective Tour Guide should have a strong desire to learn.
- Capable of learning new material rapidly and willing to spend time and expend the effort necessary to study materials.
- Able to work independently
- Attend one week training program
- Able to accept supervision
- Ability to speak comfortably before groups of people
- Physically able to lead tours around the museum
- Enthusiastic, flexible
Museum Docent training consists of the following:
- Following at least three tours by different tour guides
- Reading tour materials
- 4-5 sessions with the Museum Coordinator and/or the Educational Coordinator concerning the exhibits, and tour and question techniques
- Give a sample tour to 4-6 museum visitors accompanied by staff
-Must be 18 years of age and possess a valid Driver’s License.
-Must pass a pre-employment drug test, reference checks, and background check.
Desirable Training and Experience
-HS Diploma or Equivalent
- This is a non-benefited position.