Date Posted: July 26th, 2018 08:00 AM
Deadline: Open Until Filled
Department: Dickinson Area Public Library
Compensation: $11.19 per hour (Wage includes $1.25 per hour Skill-Based Pay)
Hours: 20 per week
To apply, please submit the required City application, which can be found by clicking on the link above, at Job Service, or at City Hall. Resumes are strongly encouraged. This position will remain open until filled.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information contact Shelly at 701-456-7801, or email email@example.com.
*This 20-hour per week, non-benefited position will work at the Dickinson Area Public Library assisting patrons with Library needs.
*The hours of operation for the Library are: Monday – Thursday 9:00 a-8:00 p; Friday 9:00 a-6:00 p; Saturday 9:00a-5:00 p; Sunday Closed.
Duties and Responsibilities
Incumbents are responsible for performing a variety of sub-professional library work requiring specialized knowledge and to do related work as required. The primary responsibility of this position is to assist library users in the circulation area.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES Including, but not limited to:
- Checks in, checks out and renews library materials
- Issues new and replacement library cards and updates patron records
- Processes and discards magazines and newspapers as assigned
- Assists library users in locating materials
- Fields requests for new acquisitions and inter-library loans
- Assists library users in making photocopies
- Assists library users in receiving and sending a fax
- Answers phones and directs call to appropriate staff, as needed
- Shelves library materials; reads shelves and keeps material in good order
- Assists library users with library databases and the microfilm reader/printer
- Troubleshoots computer problems on public access computers
- Collects and records fines, fees and other monies
- Processes library materials and makes them shelf-ready by adding dust covers and security tags.
- Sorts mail and routes to appropriate staff
- Keeps daily statistics
- Filing as directed by staff
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to deal pleasantly with the public, maintaining positive public relations
- Ability to learn the use of the Dewey Decimal classification system, and other library procedures
- Computer skills sufficient to perform the functions of the online catalog and circulation modules
- Good clerical skills are required
- Ability to perform tasks quickly and accurately
- Familiarity with a variety of office machines
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to interpret and implement library policies and procedures
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions
JUDGEMENT / DECISION MAKING
- Refers exceptions and difficult problems to supervisor for solution/resolution
- Is a self starter
- Exhibits a positive image and outlook when interacting with coworker and /or the public
- Valid Driver’s License
- Pre-employment drug screen, background check, and reference checks are required
Desirable Training and Experience
This position does not require training or experience.
This is a non-benefited position.