Date Posted: January 8th, 2019 08:00 AM
Deadline: January 22nd, 2019 05:00 PM
Department: Police Department
Compensation: $20.94 – $22.81 per hour DOE
Hours: 40 per week
To apply, please submit the required City application and Pre-Interview Questionnaire, which can be found by clicking on the links above, at Job Service, or at City Hall. Please include Resume and college transcripts. Veterans claiming preference must submit Form DD214 with the application. The deadline to apply is the close of business on Tuesday, January 22nd, 2019. Late applications will not be accepted.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information contact Ali at 701-456-7033, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the Animal Shelter. Will supervise staff and volunteers, maintain facility and equipment, interact with the public and ensure the shelter animals receive the proper care.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work requires the direct application of a variety of procedures, policies, laws and /or precedents.
- Patrols city streets, impounds stray animals, responds to and follows up on animal related calls for service, complaints and disturbances.
- Completes official Police reports, testifies and appears in court regarding animal control related legal matters.
- Issues written warnings and/or completes formal complaint requests through municipal prosecuting attorney’s office. Will monitor budget activities and has expenditure authority and input into budget development.
- Supervises assigned staff, coordinates scheduling. Monitors the work of subordinates and ensures their work complies with guidelines, policies, and procedures. Provides direction, training and technical assistance to subordinates. Conduct meetings with staff to review policies/procedures, discuss workplace issues and share ideas to improve animal care.
- Make final decision regarding euthanasia and supervise to ensure proper techniques are used and that we have the required veterinary supervision.
- Ensure files/records are properly maintained.
- Perform daily inspection of shelter facilities to monitor general health of animals, insure proper medical care is rendered in a timely, humane and efficient manner.
- Mentors; promotes teamwork and displays a positive example to subordinates.
- Receives, re-directs, and responds to a variety of communications.
- Interacts with the public as a representative of the Animal Shelter.
- Performs a variety of data entry duties.
- Oversee and collects fees, issues pet licenses, balances cash drawer, prepares deposits and orders shelter supplies.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive public relations program to ensue all web and printed information reflects a consistent message.
- Develop, maintain and implement a complete and comprehensive volunteer program to increase, sustain and recognize volunteer participation, including training modules.
- Performs other duties of similar nature or level as required.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Pre-employment drug screen, background check, and reference checks are required
Desirable Training and Experience
- An Associate’s Degree (preferably Animal Management, animal shelter management, pet sciences and/or humane leadership or another similar degree).
- 1-3 years related animal shelter experience
- Two or more years in a supervisory role or demonstrated professional development
- Or the equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
- Valid Driver’s License
EMPLOYER PAID BENEFITS
- Vacation – 96 hours annual accrual for years 1-5
- Sick Leave – 96 hours annual accrual
- Personal Leave – Employees are permitted to use up to 16 hours of accrued Sick Leave per year for Personal Leave
- Longevity Pay – Sliding scale based on tenure with the City (After 5 years of Service), paid annually
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Bereavement Leave
- Holidays – 10 holidays plus one day for birthday
- Employee Assistance Program
EMPLOYER/EMPLOYEE SHARED COST BENEFITS
- Health Insurance – NDPERS (SHP) – Employer pays 80% of premium
- Flexible Benefits – Medical Spending Account – The City puts $250 into a Medical Spending Account for full-time employees
- Defined Benefit Hybrid Main Retirement Plan – Employee contributes 7%; Employer contributes 8.26%
- Defined Benefit Public Safety Retirement Plan – Sworn Law Enforcement Officers & Firefighters contribute 5.5%; Employer contributes 9.07%
- Life Insurance – Employer pays 50% of basic premium. Supplemental life insurance option
- Flexible Benefits – Medical Spending Account – pre-tax (2019 max – $2,650) – Daycare Expenses – pre-tax (2019 max – $5,000)
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Aflac Insurance
- West River Community Center Membership – 50% Discount off Annual Membership
- 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan – Pre-Tax or Roth option
- NDPERS Portability Enhancement Provision
Civil Service Status upon successful completion of the probationary period.