Date Posted: January 10th, 2019 08:00 AM
Deadline: January 31st, 2019 05:00 PM
Department: Human Resources/Legal Department
Compensation: The hiring salary exempt range is $66,800 to $85,600 and the actual salary will depend on qualifications and experience.
Hours: 40 per week
To apply, please submit the required City application and Pre-Interview Questionnaire, which can be found by clicking on the links above, or at City Hall. Resumes are strongly encouraged. Veterans claiming preference must submit Form DD214 with the application. The deadline to apply is the close of business on Thursday, January 31st, 2019. Late applications will not be accepted.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information contact Shelly at 701-456-7801, or email email@example.com.
This position is responsible for coordinating the activities and operations relating to loss control programs and risk management for the City of Dickinson. This position will be supervised by the City Attorney and work closely with Administration, Supervisors, and Employees. Responsibilities will include coordinating insurance coverage and managing claims of City property and work related injuries of personnel.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops, implements, and maintains the organization’s safety policies and procedures for claims and incident handling.
- Coordinates the review and root cause analysis of serious workplace incidents; makes recommendations to mitigate future incidents.
- Assists with the development and implementation of long range objectives relating to health, safety, liability and property.
- Responsible for keeping records of safety related incidents, and prepares operational and statistical reports.
- Works with division supervisors to provide safety training to staff.
- Performs evaluation of safety policies, methods, and programs.
- Oversees management of employee injuries, Workforce Safety and Insurance compliance, return to work and light duty cases, liability and property claims.
- Will respond or take calls relating to City involvement with vehicle accidents, drug/alcohol testing, and damage to City property, injuries or fatalities; may be after normal business hours.
- Oversees and maintains assets on Insurance policies with State and local firms.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge of current principles and practices of risk management initiatives and programs for proper loss control.
- Investigative techniques and procedures for evaluating accident investigations.
- Critical thinker and problem-solving skills.
- Good time-management skills.
- Familiarity with applicable Federal, State, and local laws, codes, and regulations relating to the various aspects of risk management.
- Monitors compliance with regulations of DOT, OSHA, DEQ, EPA, ADA, Title VI, and Workers Compensation.
- Familiarity with insurance policies, including Boiler, Marine, Auto and Commercial Liability
- Ability to implement loss control and safety programs.
- Ability to respond to accident scenes or medical facilities as needed, including after normal business hours.
- Skilled in compiling, analyzing, and summarizing information.
- Ability to use a variety of office equipment and related applications.
- Develop, interpret, and implement City policies, procedures, and programs.
- Performs duties with limited supervision within the parameter of established city policy, procedures and guidelines.
- Set work priorities and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Conflict resolution
- Maintain confidentiality and be HIPPA compliant.
- End results and strategic issues are discussed with City Attorney.
- Responsible for enforcement of the safety program within the City of Dickinson.
- Will mentor and provide guidance when necessary through safety training and/or material review.
- Will coordinate with other Supervisors when performing safety trainings/material review.
Relation to Others:
- Regular and substantial contact with State (NDIRF), Workforce Safety and Insurance (WSI), local Insurance firms, and designated medical providers.
- Will regularly interact with other City Departments and employees.
- Create and deliver presentations to groups.
- Coordinates and reviews media releases on incidents or events of community importance.
Education and Experience (position requirements at entry):
- Associate’s Degree in risk management, business administration, health administration or a closely related field, and/or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Three to five years of increasingly responsible experience in safety, risk management, human resources, or an insurance related field.
- One year or more working knowledge of insurance claims, desired.
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
Special Requirements (position requirements at entry):
- Valid Driver’s License
- Possession of, or ability to obtain Associate Safety Professional (ASO), or Certified Safety Professional (CSP).
- Ability to obtain Hazwoper certification within two years of hire.
- Other pertinent safety certifications or designations are desirable as well.
- Attain ICS 100 & 200 certifications in first year and 300 & 400 certifications in second year of employment.
EMPLOYER PAID BENEFITS
- Vacation – 96 hours annual accrual for years 1-5
- Sick Leave – 96 hours annual accrual
- Personal Leave – Employees are permitted to use up to 16 hours of accrued Sick Leave per year for Personal Leave
- Longevity Pay – Sliding scale based on tenure with the City (After 5 years of Service), paid annually
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Bereavement Leave
- Holidays – 10 holidays plus one day for birthday
- Employee Assistance Program
EMPLOYER/EMPLOYEE SHARED COST BENEFITS
- Health Insurance – NDPERS (SHP) – Employer pays 80% of premium
- Flexible Benefits – Medical Spending Account – The City puts $250 into a Medical Spending Account for full-time employees
- Defined Benefit Hybrid Main Retirement Plan – Employee contributes 7%; Employer contributes 8.26%
- Defined Benefit Public Safety Retirement Plan – Sworn Law Enforcement Officers & Firefighters contribute 5.5%; Employer contributes 9.07%
- Life Insurance – Employer pays 50% of basic premium. Supplemental life insurance option
- Flexible Benefits – Medical Spending Account – pre-tax (2019 max – $2,650) – Daycare Expenses – pre-tax (2019 max – $5,000)
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Aflac Insurance
- West River Community Center Membership – 50% Discount off Annual Membership
- 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan – Pre-Tax or Roth option
- NDPERS Portability Enhancement Provision
Civil Service Status upon successful completion of the probationary period.