Date Posted: January 11th, 2019 08:00 AM
Deadline: January 25th, 2019 12:30 PM
Compensation: $24.60 – $27.02 per hour DOE
Hours: 40 per week
To apply, please submit the required City application and Pre-Interview Questionnaire, which can be found by clicking on the links above, at Job Service, or at City Hall. Resumes are strongly encouraged. Veterans claiming preference must submit Form DD214 with the application. The deadline to apply is the close of business on Friday, January 25th, 2019. Late applications will not be accepted.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information contact Shelly at 701-456-7801, or email email@example.com.
Performs professional level accounting duties, financial analysis and reporting activities to include establishing and maintaining accounting systems functioning within federal, state and GASB guidelines, rules, policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitors, coordinates and performs analytical review of financial activities in support of the Citywide accounting system including functions of accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, retirement, procurement cards, special assessments, cash receipts, bank reconciliations, fixed assets and infrastructure, inventory, investments, grants, construction-in-progress, and long-term debt.
- Provides staff support, direction and interpretation concerning how to accurately code and record financial data. Maintains and monitors financial software applications.
- Assists in the preparation of financial reports and annual budget. Closes year-end financial statements.
- Coordinates and maintains personnel budgets and benefits..
- Records and classifies City fixed assets to include: classifying assets; establishing depreciation schedules; and work with Risk Management to insure insurance coverages and assign insurance costs based on department asset ownership;
- Maintains records of City long-term debt and grant requests ensuring that City payments are made in a timely manner and that sufficient funds are available for the payments.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level as required.
- Fund and cost accounting practices and procedures.
- The application of accounting principles to the financial statements with the ability to analyze financial information and other related documents.
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Governmental Accounting Standards Board Statements and Interpretations (GASB).
- Problem solving and analytical skills.
- Communicate verbally and in writing.
- Interpret and apply policy and procedures.
- Analyze and explain the impacts of best practices of governmental accounting and work with staff within the department and at other departments to establish guidelines and implement policies, procedures and processes to assure compliance.
- Proficient in municipal accounting systems and procedures and personal computer business software applications including Microsoft Office products.
- Familiarity with City departments and functional responsibilities.
- Using a variety of office equipment and related applications.
- Develops objectives and general policies and procedures for area of responsibility within the general scope of established operational goals and plans.
- Required to solve complex problems where end results are reviewed by supervisor.
- Required to work through strategic issues then referred to and reviewed by supervisor.
Requires a great deal of independent decision making. Errors in judgment could significantly affect the operations of one or more lines of business or operations.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Pre-employment drug screen, background check, and reference checks are required
Desirable Training and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field.
- Three to five years of general accounting experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.