Date Posted: February 13th, 2019 08:00 AM
Deadline: March 18th, 2019 05:00 PM
Department: Street & Fleet Department
Compensation: $76,800 (min) – $98,400 (mid) Annually, DOE
Hours: 40 per week
To apply, please submit the required City application, along with your resume, references, salary requirements, and official college transcripts(if applicable). The City application can be found by clicking on the links above, at Job Service, or at City Hall. Veterans claiming preference must submit Form DD214 with the application. The deadline to apply is the close of business on Monday, March 18th, 2019. Late applications will not be accepted.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information contact Shelly at 701-456-7801, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position plans, directs and manages City street construction, repair, and maintenance projects including snow removal, and fleet maintenance.
Duties and Responsibilities
Essential Duties :
- Plan, organize, and implement street maintenance and repair programs and activities including coordination of projects and project schedules, on-site inspections of repair and maintenance projects, and evaluation of project performance.
- Coordinates, manages and provides input into City snow removal plan and street cleaning policies.
- Assist in the development of the Street Department budgets and monitor expenditures to ensure the operation remains within approved appropriations. Assist in the preparation of capital improvement projects and the analysis of such projects.
- Supervise employees, assign work, and provide work direction; make recommendations relative to hiring and firing, and employee evaluations.
- Advise and make recommendations to the Director of Public Works regarding the proper and efficient operation of the Street Department including cost and operational analysis, required levels of employees’ equipment and material, development of performance standards, and the establishment of divisional goals and objectives.
- Prepare, review and recommend specifications for bids relating to tools, materials, and equipment. Recommend the disposition of City property assigned to the Street Department and maintain the annual inventory of all public property of the division.
- Ensure that all complaints regarding street operations are handled in an appropriate manner. May represent the Public Works department regarding street projects at various meetings.
- Oversee the acquisitions, distribution and usage of all fuel; and ensure accurate data is processed in the fuel and fleet management system.
- Develops in accordance with departmental needs, vehicle specifications; works with other city departments in procurement of vehicles and equipment to include evaluating bids and recommending bid awards.
- Administers the development, implementation and monitoring of cost effective methods for parts procurement, material, tools, equipment, fuel and maintaining parts inventory control.
- Perform other such duties and functions as are necessary or incidental to the proper performance of this position.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Knowledge of engineering methods, practices, and costs relating to street repair, maintenance, and construction.
- Knowledge of light and heavy equipment.
- Ability to effectively write bid specifications.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships.
- Knowledge of computers and software relating to Public Works management.
- Ability to read and comprehend maps, diagrams and regulations.
- Knowledge of city geography and street locations.
- Knowledge of environmental standards and compliance requirements.
Judgment/Decision Making :
- Develops objectives and general policies and procedures for the street department and fleet operations within general scope of established operational goals and plans.
- Day-to-day work and decisions do not require direction or review by immediate supervisor.
- Frequently solves complex problems. End results are reviewed by supervisor. Strategic issues are referred to supervisor.
- Errors in judgment could significantly affect the operations of one or more lines of business or operations.
- Manager of the street department and fleet operations and has some human resource responsibilities for direct reports.
- Organizes and directs the work activities of staff.
- Makes disciplinary and hiring recommendations.
Relation to Others :
- Position requires substantial contact on a regular basis with the public and with employees of several city departments. Contact with the public usually involves explaining city policies and procedures.
- Entrusted with sensitive information relating to employees and/or city policies or functions.
- Mediates subordinates in times of conflict while assessing and diffusing problem situations.
- Explores innovative and creative ways to meet the needs of the citizens of the city.
- Make presentations to small groups of employees or the general public as requested.
- Valid Driver’s License
- North Dakota Class A Commercial Driver’s License with tanker and air brake endorsements. Restriction 7 (not authorized for tractor-trailer) is acceptable.
- Road Scholar II Certification preferred.
- Forklift Certification – within 90 days of hire
- Pre-employment drug screen, background check, and reference checks are required
Desirable Training and Experience
- Bachelors degree in construction management, engineering, or business management and five to seven years progressively responsible professional and supervisory experience in municipal public works administration or engineering or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
EMPLOYER PAID BENEFITS
- Vacation – 96 hours annual accrual for years 1-5
- Sick Leave – 96 hours annual accrual
- Personal Leave – Employees are permitted to use up to 16 hours of accrued Sick Leave per year for Personal Leave
- Longevity Pay – Sliding scale based on tenure with the City (After 5 years of Service), paid annually
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Bereavement Leave
- Holidays – 10 holidays plus one day for birthday
- Employee Assistance Program
EMPLOYER/EMPLOYEE SHARED COST BENEFITS
- Health Insurance – NDPERS (SHP) – Employer pays 80% of premium
- Flexible Benefits – Medical Spending Account – The City puts $250 into a Medical Spending Account for full-time employees
- Defined Benefit Hybrid Main Retirement Plan – Employee contributes 7%; Employer contributes 8.26%
- Defined Benefit Public Safety Retirement Plan – Sworn Law Enforcement Officers & Firefighters contribute 5.5%; Employer contributes 9.07%
- Life Insurance – Employer pays 50% of basic premium. Supplemental life insurance option
- Flexible Benefits – Medical Spending Account – pre-tax (2019 max – $2,650) – Daycare Expenses – pre-tax (2019 max – $5,000)
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Aflac Insurance
- West River Community Center Membership – 50% Discount off Annual Membership
- 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan – Pre-Tax or Roth option
- NDPERS Portability Enhancement Provision
Civil Service Status upon successful completion of the probationary period.