Date Posted: March 14th, 2019 08:00 AM
Deadline: April 4th, 2019 05:00 PM
Department: Engineering Department
Compensation: $24.60 – $27.02 per hour DOE
Hours: 40 per week
To apply, please submit the required City application and Pre-Interview Questionnaire, which can be found by clicking on the links above, at Job Service, or at City Hall. Resumes are strongly encouraged. Veterans claiming preference must submit Form DD214 with the application. The deadline to apply is the close of business on Thursday, April 4th, 2019. Late applications will not be accepted.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information contact Ali at 701-456-7033, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position is responsible for technical civil engineering and supervisory engineering work performing a variety of engineering tasks. Work is performed under the managerial direction of the City Engineer. This position will be responsible for developing and drafting CIP Plans. This position will also be required to inspect and administer the contract for CIP projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as design engineer on CIP projects; conducts field work, survey, research, preliminary and final design; determines construction quantities, , prepares contract documents and estimates costs; coordinates project among other city departments, prepares reports and memos describing the project; conducts inspections of work.
- Performs inspections and maintains records on CIP projects.
- Prepares “as built” plans after construction is completed.
- Prepares engineering designs, plans, specifications and cost estimates for the construction of streets, sidewalks, curbs, sewers, water mains, storm drains and the like; participates in public hearings, right of way acquisitions, finalizing plans, drafting specifications, etc.
- Maintains a variety of records pertaining to public works installations and projects; prepares reports related to the work.
- Serves as Acting Assistant City Engineer in the Absence of the Assistant City Engineer.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
- Knowledge of professional civil engineering principles, practices and methods applied to public works construction.
- Knowledge of design principles, cost/benefit analysis required in planning construction projects.
- Knowledge of suitable computer applications to engineering projects.
- Knowledge of construction standards and regulations.
- Knowledge of maps, deeds, plats and plans.
- Ability to plan, organize, and complete personal workload.
- Ability to prepare accurate plans, specifications, cost estimates and engineering reports.
- Ability to operate personal computers and computer aided drafting processes.
- Ability to maintain a variety of technical records and adapt records systems for computerization.
- Ability to make accurate engineering computations and drawings.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing to prepare reports of a complex technical nature.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, engineers and contractors and the general public.
- Ability to operate surveying equipment in the field and to maneuver on foot around construction sites, on uneven terrain.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Registration as an Engineer-in-Training in the state of North Dakota – at hire, preferred.
- Pre-employment drug screen, background check, and reference checks are required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, prior work experience as an Engineer or relevant internship desired, or an equivalent combination of training and experience that would be expected to lead to registration as a Civil Engineer in the State of North Dakota.
EMPLOYER PAID BENEFITS
- Vacation – 96 hours annual accrual for years 1-5
- Sick Leave – 96 hours annual accrual
- Personal Leave – Employees are permitted to use up to 16 hours of accrued Sick Leave per year for Personal Leave
- Longevity Pay – Sliding scale based on tenure with the City (After 5 years of Service), paid annually
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Bereavement Leave
- Holidays – 10 holidays plus one day for birthday
- Employee Assistance Program
EMPLOYER/EMPLOYEE SHARED COST BENEFITS
- Health Insurance – NDPERS (SHP) – Employer pays 80% of premium
- Flexible Benefits – Medical Spending Account – The City puts $250 into a Medical Spending Account for full-time employees
- Defined Benefit Hybrid Main Retirement Plan – Employee contributes 7%; Employer contributes 8.26%
- Defined Benefit Public Safety Retirement Plan – Sworn Law Enforcement Officers & Firefighters contribute 5.5%; Employer contributes 9.07%
- Life Insurance – Employer pays 50% of basic premium. Supplemental life insurance option
- Flexible Benefits – Medical Spending Account – pre-tax (2019 max – $2,650) – Daycare Expenses – pre-tax (2019 max – $5,000)
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Aflac Insurance
- West River Community Center Membership – 50% Discount off Annual Membership
- 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan – Pre-Tax or Roth option
- NDPERS Portability Enhancement Provision
Civil Service Status upon successful completion of the probationary period.