Open Date: May 15th, 2019 08:00 AM
Deadline to Apply: May 29th, 2019 05:00 PM
Department: Solid Waste Department
Compensation: $15.83- $17.16 per hour DOE
Hours: 40 per week
# of Openings: 1
To apply, please submit the required City application and Pre-Interview Questionnaire, which can be found by clicking on the links above, at Job Service, or at City Hall. Resumes are strongly encouraged. Veterans claiming preference must submit Form DD214 with the application. The deadline to apply is the close of business on Wednesday, May 29, 2019. Late applications will not be accepted.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information contact Shelly at 701-456-7801, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Incumbents performs a variety of office duties in solid waste operations, including weighing and inspecting loads, directing loads to designated areas, while following City, State, and Federal guidelines.
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties may include (but are not limited to):
- Tasks are multiple and focus more on single processes. Work is sometimes standardized and sometimes varied.
- Work requires the direct application of a variety of procedures, policies, and/or precedents.
- Strong customer service skills are required to assist customers via telephone calls and in person responding to complaints, providing information and assistance with payments, account status, departmental questions, proper disposal/recycle practices that comply with all City, State, and Federal regulations, service procedures and other regulations, and redirecting customers to appropriate departments when necessary.
- Process daily deposits and pre-authorized payments, writes and processes miscellaneous charge receipts.
- Operate scale system daily to process disposal transactions, accepts all forms of payment for transactions.
- Evaluate incoming loads on an individual basis to determine proper disposal area (ensuring compliance with City, State, and Federal regulations); and proper categorization.
- Accurately document the proper quantity of necessary loads through: use of scale software, manual calculation, counting, or estimation.
- Inspects all incoming loads for any unacceptable/hazardous/radioactive materials.
- Ensures all customers comply with department mandated policies including assessing penalty fees and rejecting loads when necessary.
- Responsible for general maintenance/cleanliness of Baler Building offices and employee areas.
- Valid Driver’s License
- ND State Landfill Operators Certification – (obtained within 2 years of hire)
Desirable Training and Experience
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D)
- Up to one year general office or basic accounting experience, with an emphasis on customer service or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
EMPLOYER PAID BENEFITS
- Vacation – 96 hours annual accrual for years 1-5
- Sick Leave – 96 hours annual accrual
- Personal Leave – Employees are permitted to use up to 16 hours of accrued Sick Leave per year for Personal Leave
- Longevity Pay – Sliding scale based on tenure with the City (After 5 years of Service), paid annually
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Bereavement Leave
- Holidays – 10 holidays plus one day for birthday
- Employee Assistance Program
EMPLOYER/EMPLOYEE SHARED COST BENEFITS
- Health Insurance – NDPERS (SHP) – Employer pays 80% of premium
- Flexible Benefits – Medical Spending Account – The City puts $250 into a Medical Spending Account for full-time employees
- Defined Benefit Hybrid Main Retirement Plan – Employee contributes 7%; Employer contributes 8.26%
- Defined Benefit Public Safety Retirement Plan – Sworn Law Enforcement Officers & Firefighters contribute 5.5%; Employer contributes 9.07%
- Life Insurance – Employer pays 50% of basic premium. Supplemental life insurance option
- Flexible Benefits – Medical Spending Account – pre-tax (2019 max – $2,650) – Daycare Expenses – pre-tax (2019 max – $5,000)
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Aflac Insurance
- West River Community Center Membership – 50% Discount off Annual Membership
- 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan – Pre-Tax or Roth option
- NDPERS Portability Enhancement Provision
Civil Service Status upon successful completion of the probationary period.