Date Posted: November 15th, 2019 08:00 AM
Deadline: December 16th, 2019 05:00 PM
Department: Buildings & Codes
To apply, please submit a City application and Pre-Interview Questionnaire, which can be found by clicking on the links above, at Job Service, or at City Hall. Resumes are strongly encouraged. Veterans claiming preference must submit Form DD214 with the application. The deadline to apply is the close of business on Monday, December 16th, 2019. Late applications will not be accepted.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information contact Ali at 701-456-7033, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position is responsible for performing technical building inspections, ensuring compliance with municipal codes, sanitation standards, and construction specifications set forth by the State of North Dakota building and plumbing codes.
- Performs required inspections on all types of residential and commercial structures under construction to ensure all structure components comply with building and mechanical code requirements.
- Prepares letters and correspondence to homeowners, contractors and developers regarding building code enforcement violations; signs complaints and follows-up with business and homeowners as necessary to schedule inspections.
- Performs property use inspections.
- Performs inspections for mobile home license.
- Performs inspections for set up manufactured home permit.
- Performs annual inspections for junk dealers license.
- Knowledge of codes pertaining to building, plumbing, mechanical, and property maintenance;
- Knowledge of state codes pertaining to building constructions;
- Knowledge of state laws pertaining to City planning and zoning procedures;
- Knowledge of codes and ordinances related to disabled and public access;
- Knowledge of basic engineering and architectural principles;
- Knowledge of state codes pertaining to manufactured housing;
- Knowledge of principles and techniques of plan examination and structural design;
- Ability to read and interpret construction plans, architectural blueprints and schematic diagrams;
- Performs duties within scope of general City policies, procedures and objectives.
- Analyses problems and performs needs assessments. Uses judgment in adapting broad guidelines to achieve desired results.
- Associate’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Architectural Design, Architectural Drafting or related field, or specialized training or certifications.
- One to three years’ experience in general contracting or related field.
- Or the equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
- International Property Maintenance Certification from International Codes Council (ICC) within 6 months of hire).
- Building inspector Certification from International Codes Council (ICC) – (within 1 year of hire).
- Manufactured Homes Inspection Certificate issued by the North Dakota Department of Commerce (within 12 months of hire).
- Valid Driver’s License – at hire.
- Vacation – 96 hours annual accrual for years 1-5
- Sick Leave – 96 hours annual accrual
- Personal Leave – Employees are permitted to use up to 16 hours of accrued Sick Leave per year for Personal Leave
- Longevity Pay – Sliding scale based on tenure with the City (After 5 years of Service), paid annually
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Bereavement Leave
- Holidays – 10 holidays plus one day for birthday
- Employee Assistance Program
EMPLOYER/EMPLOYEE SHARED COST BENEFITS
- Health Insurance – NDPERS (SHP) – Employer pays 80% of premium
- Flexible Benefits – Medical Spending Account – The City puts $250 into a Medical Spending Account for full-time employees
- Defined Benefit Hybrid Main Retirement Plan – Employee contributes 7%; Employer contributes 8.26%
- Defined Benefit Public Safety Retirement Plan – Sworn Law Enforcement Officers & Firefighters contribute 5.5%; Employer contributes 9.07%
- Life Insurance – Employer pays 50% of basic premium. Supplemental life insurance option
- Flexible Benefits – Medical Spending Account – pre-tax (2019 max – $2,650) – Daycare Expenses – pre-tax (2019 max – $5,000)
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Aflac Insurance
- West River Community Center Membership – 50% Discount off Annual Membership
- 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan – Pre-Tax or Roth option
- NDPERS Portability Enhancement Provision
Civil Service Status upon successful completion of the probationary period.